October newsletter: English language style guide, yoko meshi & our monthly poll: a or an?

Welcome to the LEaF newsletter

Welcome to our October newsletter! This month you can find out more about our popular English Language Style Guide and learn another great word from a foreign language that doesn’t have an English equivalent. We will also reveal the results of last month’s poll and all our latest updates, and introduce you to one of our many happy clients – this time a digital marketing agency. Happy reading!

English language style guide

We have created this easy-to-use, quick reference guide to help you write better English, whether that be for your business or your studies, or whether English is not your first language. It was originally designed to create consistency among our translators at LEaF but it can be applied to almost every aspect of life. We hope that our Style Guide can help to improve and make your English writing easier.

Word of the month

We’re sure most people have encountered this particular type of stress, perhaps abroad for a holiday. As translators, we can confidently say that it’s not easy.

As well as speaking a foreign language with perfect accuracy, writing comes with many difficulties, but this is something we can help with to take that stress away.


  • LEaF Translations recently featured in the Yorkshire Business Review (p.23) to talk about our ethical principles and all we have achieved throughout our journey. To find out more, read our latest blog here.
  • Update: We have been signed up with Ecologi for 20 months now and in that time we have planted 858 trees, offset 31.16t of carbon and supported many more climate projects. We couldn’t be prouder!
  • If you didn’t receive our previous newsletter, you can find it here. We will be saving all our monthly newsletters in this section so you never have to worry about missing out!

What do you think?

In last month’s poll, we asked you:

Which article (a/an) would you use to fill the gap and complete this sentence: “it was ___ historic day”?

83% of you would use a, whilst the other 17% would use an.

Here at LEaF we would also choose a, but both could be argued as being grammatically correct. Historically, an would have been more commonly used in this sentence, however it seems to all come down to the modern pronunciation of words beginning with h. The rule is: if the h is silent (such as ‘hour’ or ‘honourable’) you must use an, but if the h is pronounced you then you can use a.

Feel free to message us your thoughts.

Head to our Instagram Highlights and LinkedIn for this month’s poll.

We’re intrigued to know how many of you speak a second (or third, or fourth…) language and so our next poll is:

Do you speak a foreign language?

Yes  |  No

Introducing: Impression

Impression are a digital marketing agency specialising in SEO, PPC, digital PR, content marketing and more. LEaF has been supporting their international client work for over a year now. Our collaboration has ranged from providing multilingual keyword research through writing SEO-optimised meta data and content to more traditional translation services. Lucy even featured as a guest on their podcast RankUp earlier this year.  As a translation company with genuine SEO expertise, we are a great fit for Impression and love helping them deliver great results for their clients.

Screenshot 2021 10 27 at 09.26.02 2 LEaF Translations

Kitty LEaF blog 2021

About the Author


Kitty Trewhitt is a translation project manager at LEaF Translations. She oversees each phase of the translation project and keeps in contact with both the client and linguists throughout the process. Besides managing our projects, Kitty also translates and proofreads texts from French and Italian into English, as well as creating LEaF’s monthly newsletter and managing the company social media accounts.